Not so happy here...
Now that is more like it!
The best I could do...
Gabe is very proud of his Nibroc "swag"As I said in the last post, Nibroc is in full swing. At this moment, I can hear the band downtown playing "Sweet Home Alabama". The guys are on their yearly golf trip, so we're running around this weekend. (By "running around", of course I mean K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and Kroger's.) Yesterday, we headed down because Gabe really wanted a funnel cake, and to "play the game with the darts and balloons". Of course, we did neither! We got there around 6:30, and Gabe decided instead that he wanted to watch the parade at 7:00. That gave us only a half hour to walk the loooonnnngggg trail of stands selling fried food, deep-fried food, and what could only be called "ultra-fried food." Yes, I'm talking about you, Mr. Fried Twinkie. Yuck! I opted for the "healthy" options, a pork barbecue sandwich, homemade lemonade, and a side of Key Lime Pie on a stick (key lime IS a fruit!). The Pie was absolutely delicious, but I could not have picked a more embarassing food to eat in public. Besides the fact that it was huge and kept sliding around on the stick, it had a whipped cream mountain on top, which kept attractively smearing on my cheeks, nose, hair, etc. And of course, I was walking and pushing Audrey in her stroller at the same time. What I will do for some good Key Lime Pie! Gabe settled on pizza and lemonade, more healthy choices (lemon/fruit AND tomato sauce/vegetable).
We found a good spot to watch the parade. Gabe had a tiny tantrum due to the fact that he was getting very hungry, but he finally settled down when the fire trucks and other floats came past us and began throwing candy. A very nice lady in front of us actually ran out in the road and picked it up for Gabe. It was cute to see the float with the animal shelter animals, as well as all the cars in which the tiny pageant contestants rode, but I felt a little uneasy because most of the latter were not in carseats and instead perched on the back of convertibles. Audrey was more interested in watching the birds flying overhead, and she didn't get nervous around the activity at all, except when the Civil War re-enactors fired their guns. No wonder their side lost the war - they were stuck behind the Shriners and their mini semi-trucks! I scored a little paper American flag for Gabe, who smiled like he had just won the Nibroc lottery. Of course, as soon as we returned to the car, Gabe said, "Hey, I didn't get a funnel cake!"
So we went back this afternoon with plans to get the elusive funnel cake. Everything was pretty much the same as yesterday evening, except sunnier. Gabe got to try an Italian Ice, which was pretty yummy, and then a hot dog and more lemonade. We had just eaten caramel rolls and bacon for breakfast, so unfortunately, we were still not in the mood for funnel cake. Maybe next year! Audrey passed out in her stroller in the most uncomfortable-looking position, but she took a good nap while we looked around. Gabe was excited to get to climb up in an army vehicle and the Reservist at the booth gave him a National Guard key chain. He then got to test an adorable kids' drum set at the music store. To those family members looking to buy him something unique for Christmas: it will be "regifted" to you when you have kids old enough to play the drums.
Finally, Mom, John, Hilary, and the kids and I had an outdoor dinner consisting of French Dip panini, Chinese salad, potato salad, deviled eggs, and creme de menthe brownies. MMMM!!! Tonight, before he went to bed, Gabe told me he had a "stommy [he combines stomach and tummy] ache". Who wouldn't, after the past two days? Tonight, I will be dreaming of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pepto Bismol.











1 comment:
Awwww, I can't believe I missed Aunt Bea!!! Life isn't worth living!
Post a Comment