Monday, September 8, 2008

The return of Howard Hughes...


Gabe in 50 years? (Okay, so I had a little help from Photoshop for the mustache.)










When Gabe was around 2-years-old, he started getting very OCD-like about things. If anything around him got wet or dirty, we'd have to dry, clean, or change it quickly, or else he'd get upset. He would also organize things according to color or shape, or he'd line things up or arrange them in specific ways, and if they got messed up, there was trouble. We called him "Howard Hughes" - to the point that, if he went to Barry and said "wipe my hands!", Barry would reply, "Okay, Howard." Lately, we've noticed his "OCD" is making a comeback, especially the aspect of having to do things a certain way and repeating things over and over. Every night after he's tucked into bed, Gabe opens his closet door about 6 inches and puts his piggy bank down on the floor by it. (He's also started washing his hands A LOT, although this may be due to the fact that he likes the smell of soap on his hands.) There are lots of other little things he has to do everyday at certain times.

He also has been responding to everything we say with "what?". I was very worried about this, because he had a bad ear infection a few months back, and I thought he might have had some hearing loss. However, we started asking him "what did I say?" everytime he asks us that, and usually, he has heard us correctly. We have a lot of conversations like this:

Me: Gabe, will you put your clothes in the hamper?
Gabe: What?
Me: What did I say?
Gabe: You asked me to put my clothes in the hamper.

Barry: Gabe, do you want to go outside?
Gabe: What?
Barry: What did I say?
Gabe: You asked if I want to go outside.


And so on. If we do this once a day, we do it a hundred times!! So long as he doesn't get to the point where he's holding his pirate toys with Kleenex, I guess we can overlook his OCD.

1 comment:

Ioannes_Ahenobarbus said...

The resemblance is uncanny! See if you can paint a small mustache on Gabe. I would be impressed.