Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Gotta find a new "babysitter"
Gabe has definitely lost his babysitting privileges. Today I really had to use the potty, as we say in our house, so I placed Audrey on the couch, in a perpendicular position and with pillows on both sides so she couldn't roll off. Gabe was temporarily in charge. I ran to the bathroom, and I suddenly heard a sickening thump followed by a brief scream. I jumped away from the toilet and high-tailed (nice pun, huh?) it into the living room, where I saw Audrey face-down on the rug and Gabe standing over her watching. She was literally shaking and not crying, and my first thought was, oh my gosh, she's unconscious. Gabe quickly said, "I just wanted to hold her", after which he simply went back to playing with his Little People, as if nothing had happened. I think he was really afraid of getting in trouble and trying to downplay it, but I couldn't be too mad at him because I shouldn't have left him alone with her even for those couple of minutes. At that point, I was almost hysterical so I picked her up and tried to survey the damage. When I tried to place her on the couch, she started really crying. When I could finally check her out, luckily all I could see wrong was a small scratch on the nose and a red nose and lip. To play it safe, I took her to the doctor to make sure she didn't have any head injuries. All is well, and Gabe casually described the incident to the pediatrician as follows: "I tried to hold Sister, but she was too heavy, so she had to go to the floor." I had to hold in my laughter at that one. Hopefully she won't be too traumatized by this and develop a fear of Oriental rugs or anything. By the way, Audrey now weighs almost 13 pounds, compared to Gabe's current 28 lbs! I look for her to be smashing his face into that rug when her hand-eye coordination improves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











1 comment:
Oh my gosh! We are living in a parallel universe! Ava Ryan did the same thing to Tal, the only difference is that I wasn't a good Mommy and take him to the doctor. I was scared out of my mind. I know that "thump" sound all too well, it makes you sick to your stomach. Sounds like it won't be too long before Audrey gives Gabe a taste of his own medicine!! My question is: where can I put the baby while I take a potty break? Not on the couch, for reasons listed above, and not on the floor because they always get stepped on! I guess mothers just lose all bathroom privileges after having 2 babies- weird because that is about the time holding your pee results in... I don't even want to talk about it!!
Post a Comment