Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Pirate Turns 4

Who let Groucho Marx into our house, and why is he wearing a rubber snake around his neck?
A very cute picture - reverse psychology was involved to get this
Gabe enjoying an apple from his field trip to the apple orchard (although when asked what he was going to do there, he said, "buy little apple pies", and sure enough, they did.)
Another cute smile
Audrey is actually enjoying big brother pushing her stroller, but maybe not so much a few minutes later when she was in the grass...

In the picture second from the bottom, Gabe was in the midst of beating me in our not-so-fierce game of Pirate Treasure, a game I bought for him a while back at Dollar Tree. (Dollar Tree is my bastion of reward toys or treats, and it just so happens they also have a lot of pirate stuff! Odd place, that Dollar Tree.) Basically, you take turns picking a card with instructions like, "Your ship is shipwrecked. Put back one piece of Treasure" and "You become Captain of your ship. Take a piece of Treasure from each player." Gabe decided he didn't need me to read his cards and he instead would "read" them. His cards said a lot of things like "Mom is shipwrecked, so give all your treasure to Gabe", or "Gabe made Mom walk the plank, lose all your treasure". He had the best "luck" during this game. Hmmm...cheating like a true pirate would.

In bigger news, Gabe's 4th birthday is today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GABE!!!

It seems like just yesterday when he was crying and picking up fuzz from the floor and putting it in his mouth...wait, he still does both of those things. In all seriousness, we have had a very short 4 years with him, so I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. Yes, the years have gone by fast, but there have been a few looonnnnngggg days. Ha, ha!!

To celebrate, we're having a big pirate-ganza tomorrow, with pirate decorations, two pirate cakes, and my proudest find, Disney pirate gummy candies. I was very excited, until I saw the big "Made in China" label on the package. Now I am conflicted between wanting my son and nephews get to have some cool fruity pirate ship gummies, versus wanting to avoid giving them mysterious rashes over half their bodies. Does melamine lurk in artificial fruit flavoring? We'll see in a few days...

We got Gabe some cute presents, and per his request of getting a "pet", we found something in the Young Explorers catalog. (This is a seriously neat catalog, and it has some of the most unique toys.) It's called "Grow a Frog". It's basically a tiny aquarium that comes with a certificate you mail in to receive a tadpole. After 6 weeks, it grows into a frog. Seems pretty straightforward, until I looked at the box it comes in. I am not kidding when I tell you that, according to the description on the box:
  • You can train it to eat out of your hand;
  • It has whiskers like a catfish;
  • It lives completely in water;
  • You can see through its body;
  • It will never jump away.

Didn't we order a frog? Isn't the essence of a frog that it jumps (out of water, from time to time), is whisker-free, is opaquely green, and is UNTRAINABLE? Did I make a mistake and order the "Grow-a-Genetically-Modified, Lab-Engineered Mutant"? Whatever this thing is, I'm sure Gabe is going to love it.

I'll post plenty of pictures in a few days!

2 comments:

The Maguet's said...

That frog sounds SCARY! Is it from China, too? I mean a clear, trainable, whisker-y, jump-less frog sounds like something the White house should be made aware of! Sweet dreams with that thing in your house!!
Then again, maybe you could teach it to do laundry, I mean, hey, maybe he is "trainable!" Use it to your advantage. I'll stay posted!!

Ioannes_Ahenobarbus said...

I certainly had fun at the birthday bash. It's too bad Hilary and I had to leave that night, or we would have stayed much longer!

On a side note, Hilary's new blog is theruffledapron-gifts.blogspot.com where she shows a bunch of her crafty items. It is still a work in progress, but there are some very nice pictures on it.